UMAP Acoustic Positioning Software
- Product Sheet
UMAP positioning software is used in conjunction with Lotek wireless hydrophone systems (WHS) models WHS 3050, 3250, 4250 autonomous submersible dataloggers. UMAP is designed to process data files from independent WHSs to produce 2D source locations of signals detected by a minimum of three (3) and maximum 256 WHS units. 3D positioning is supported with the use of precise depth sensing transmitters.
The WHS receivers are initially clock-synchronized by the user on deployment (using the WHS host software). Retrieved data is processed by the UMAP program which tracks differential clock drift between the receivers as a post-processing operation. As with all 2D or 3D acoustic based positioning systems, uncertainty in the exact locations of hydrophones or within the time base will translate to a reduction in precision of the position estimates. The UMAP system compensates for any drift encountered within the time bases associated with individual autonomous hydrophones.
- Continuous 2-D or 3-D (using depth tags) tracks of transmittered animals automatically computed from data extracted from 3 to 256 autonomous wireless hydrophones
- Compatible with MAP (WHS 3050, 3250) and JSATS (WHS 4250) acoustic systems
- Transparent process – user controlled processing/filtering of raw data
- Dilution of Precision calculation supports optimal hydrophone array geometry (aperture)
- Open architecture supports exchange with third party analysis tools
- Export file generation for import by major GIS packages and Google Earth
- No hydrophone cable requirement means lower deployment and maintenance costs and ultimately, higher system reliability.
- No surface buoy requirement translates to lower equipment and deployment costs, higher reliability and reduction in losses from theft, damage from debris or vandalism.
- Precise positioning in areas where cables are impractical means that new research can be conducted in areas of fine scale habitat utilization, species interaction, and behavior around barriers or effluent plumes.
UMAP product sheet.